Is Botulinum Toxin a Poison?

Botox is just a brand name for a type of botulinum toxin produced by a bacteria.

In significant doses it is an extremely powerful toxic agent which acts by weakening muscles and an overdose can cause problems breathing.

However, it is very important to remember that all substances are toxic in large doses: even things like Vitamin C!

An overdose of water of paracetamol in fact can be equally dangerous as botox.

The amount of this substance used to treat facial wrinkles is minute.

In millions of cases worldwide there has never been a report about poisoning or breathing difficulties from using botulinum toxin products…when reputable companies are supplying and administering the product. This is key.

 On balance, wrinkle reducing injection treatment is one of the safest treatments available currently, and I would be much more concerned if one of our patients was being treated with one of the newer therapies which has a lesser track record.

If you have any further questions, please do contact Aurora Skin Clinics on 0800 328 5743